My mantra at muted is all about classic clean pieces that fit properly. We try and stay away from anything that’s not absolutely necessary. So when I see guys making these style mistakes it just kills me. Stop doing the things in this list and you’ll automatically up your style game.
1. Ripped Jeans – If you’re a grown man get rid of the ripped jeans unless they’re your painting pants. The Fashion forward ripped jean trend is just that a trend. It’ll eventually go the way of parachute, and Z Cavaricci pants. You don’t want to get caught on the wrong end of that fashion curve.
What to wear instead: Just keep your jeans clean and cut right. Throw on well-fitting jeans with either a slim fit for guys with regular to normal body types or straight fit for larger guys.
2. Stacked Pants/Jeans (Way too long) – The urban hip-hop look with the huge pant legs which are about 3 feet too long is just ridiculous. Just like ripped jeans, this trend is D.O.A.
What to wear instead: Check out our jean fit guide. But all jeans should have a quarter to no more than a full break. While selvedge jeans are meant to have a small cuff at the bottom and ride above the boot.
3. Blazers That Are Too Big – Guys, please just spend a little extra time at the store and tailor and you’ll get years of looking awesome for just a little more time spent.
What to wear instead: Hear are some quick tips for a great fitting blazer. Arms shouldn’t go past your wrists, the blazer shouldn’t be longer than mid crotch, arms should hang smoothly with no wrinkles, shoulder seams should end right at the shoulders. This should at least get you started in the right direction.
4. Untucked Dress Shirts – Most dress shirts are meant to be tucked. This means their length is past your lower crotch. Which means the shirt will not look good untucked. Period. Don’t do it.
What to wear instead: If you’re going to untuck a shirt it shouldn’t go past mid crotch.
5. Clothes Which Are Too Tight/Skinny Jeans – Guys no one wants to see that shit. Seriously, if your jeans are so tight you can see your frank and beans change your f%$kin clothes. We get it, you just hit the gym and you’re feeling buff no one but you cares. Don’t wear your girlfriend’s clothes and think you’re killing it.
What to wear instead: Pinch the leg of your pants. If you can’t pinch at least an inch of material on either side of your leg, your pants are too tight. A pinch of 1-2″ is respectable.
6. Jean Shorts – Girls where jean shorts (jorts), dudes don’t.
What to wear instead: Get yourself a good pair of chino shorts at the right length and you’re good to go. Another more casual options is a pair of sweat shorts with a good cut.
7. Pleated Chinos – People keep trying to bring these back, but pleats are dead. All of your pants should be flat fronts. If you’re carrying a little extra weight pleated chinos will make you look like you have an extra roll of fat.
What to wear instead: You want your chinos nice a smooth and flattering.
8. Square-Toed Shoes – WTF are these things. Don’t buy them. Check out our list of the shoes every guy should own.
What to wear instead: Do yourself a favor and get a great pair of Derbys, Bluchers, Brogues or Oxfords.
9. Too Many Accessories – 10 bracelets, 15 chains, earrings. Guys, stop it, you know you’re not a baller and half this crap is probably fake.
What to wear instead: Gift yourself a nice watch and leave it at that.
11. Big Logo or Too Many Logos – My philosophy is clean and cut right. Big logos definitely interfere with the clean. Plus you look like you’re trying way too hard. Seriously it’s more than likely you bought that Gucci T-Shirt off the discount shelf at Kohls for $10 bucks.
What to wear instead: Instead opt for a plain great fitting t-shirt or polo shirt. You’ll look much cooler.
12. Polos With Popped Collars – This is another look I wish I could go back in time and kill at its birth. Unless you’re trying to keep the sun off your neck keep your collar down. Again, this is another look that says you’re trying way too hard.
What to wear instead: Like my suggestion above, just stay with a great fitting polo shirt from a respected brand and keep your damn collar down.
13. Jeans With Intricate Pocket Stitching – This is another attack against our clean mantra. Bedazzled or intricate stitching looks terrible. It doesn’t make you look cool just cheesy.
What to wear instead: Always wear great fitting jeans with clean pockets and labels
14. Bootcut Jeans – The only people who should be wearing boot cut jeans are cowboys. Bootcut jeans as a daily wear jean just serve no purpose. If you’re rocking a sweet pair of white sneakers or Red Wing boots you want to show those suckers off and don’t want them covered by your pants.
What to wear instead: Wear a nice slim fit or straight leg jean with a 14″-15″ leg opening. This will look much cleaner
15. The Deep V T-Shirt – What are you trying to do with this. I don’t get it. If your chest hairs are poking out of your t-shirt it’s too low.
What to wear instead: Keep it clean with a plain crewneck t-shirt or a v-neck of respectable proportions.
16. Cargo Shorts – Now this one is up for debate. But from my perspective cargo shorts are a terrible idea especially for larger gents. They just make you look sloppy.
What to wear instead: Wear your shorts just like your full-length chinos. A flat front with just two or three pockets at a respectable length.
17. Neon Anything – Absolutely no one looks good in neon and absolutely nothing matches neon, other than more neon. My eyes hurt just thinking about it.
What to wear instead: Stay with neutral colors. This will give you the ability to match anything in your wardrobe.