Our buying guide, The Best Tactical Pens For Self Defense, help you become closely acquainted with this discrete yet highly effective tool. We provide five of our top choices, but before we get to the list, let’s take a closer look at the origins of Tactical Pens.
History of Tactical Pens
Tactical pens just didn’t come out of thin air. They were actually developed from a small weapon called the Kubotan. The Kubotan is a small keychain weapon that was originally invented by Soke Takayuki Kubota.
Normally they’re made from hardened steel, measure around 5.5 inches to 6 inches long, and have a blunt end which is used for striking and emergency situations.
The blunt end can be used for self-defense by striking pressure points. When used correctly this simple weapon can disable an attacker into a quivering heap.
The idea is that even the simplest objects can be used for self-defense
So what is a Tactical Pen?
So now that we know what a Kubotan is, it’s easy to see how one of these weapons could be turned into a pen. Basically, a tactical pen is a Kubotan you can use as a pen.
It is made from hardened steel and has grooves on the barrel to better enhance your grip. On the non-writing end, they will have a hardened tip that performs two main tasks. One is to break glass in case of an emergency, the second is for self-defense. The hardened tip can penetrate/puncture and injure an assailant with minimal expertise.
Some tactical pens will also have additional tools. These include DNA collection where the tip is grooved to draw blood and collect skin when used to strike. They may also include everyday carry tools like LED lights, bottle openers, and wrenches.
Benefits of Tactical Pen
1. Discrete – Tactical Pen’s are much different that most weapons. I hand gun is sure to draw attention, but a tactical pen, well, looks just like a pen and will usually go unnoticed.
2. Carry almost anywhere – Unlike other weapons, no special permit is required and you can carry your pen in your pocket or on your keychain almost anywhere. One not of caution, when entering airports, you may want to check your tactical pen as they have been known to be confiscated at security checkpoints.
3. Self Defense – By striking pressure points and soft areas with the hardened tip of the tactical you can easily disarm an attacker. It’ll just take a little practice and you’ll be ready for action.
4. Writing Instrument – A tactical pen is always available and can be used as an ordinary pen to write down information like license plates.
5. DNA Collection – Some tactical pens come with a grooved tip that can be used in emergency situations collect DNA.
6. Glass Breaker – One of the most sought after uses for a tactical pen is a glass breaker. If your car is under water or engulfed by smoke, you’ll definitely want to have one of these pens with you.
Below we provided a list of Tactical Pens that have great ratings and will sure to fit into any everyday carry tactical arsenal.
Best Tactical Pens for Self Defense
UZI Aircraft Aluminum Defender Tactical Pen
The UZI Aircraft Aluminum Defender Tactical Pen ($22) is first up on our list for self defense and emergency use pens. It is made from aircraft grade aluminum with a gun metal finish and pocket clip. It features a carbide tip which can be used to break glass in emergency situations like trying to get out of a flooded car or remove someone from a car with a smoking engine. The UZI weighs just 1.5 ounces for lightweight carry and uses standard pen refills.
Gerber Impromptu Tactical Pen
Emergency situations can pop up when you least expect them. That’s why it’s always important to be prepared. The UZI Aircraft Aluminum Defender Tactical Pen($22) was developed in collaboration with law enforcement professionals and it can do a whole lot more than just write. The Impromptu is made from machined steel and features a tempered steel tip that can break glass. Additional features include a “Rite in the Rain” pen cartridge that can write in wet and dry conditions and a pocket clip so it will always be handy.
Under Control Tactical Pen for Self Defense
The Under Control Tactical Pen for Self Defense ($30) is the perfect size for concealment, self-defense, and as a regular old everyday carry pen. The Under Control Tactical Pen with a ton of built-in features. It includes a bright LED tactical flashlight, a DNA catcher, an integrated glass breaker, and a rugged belt clip. Besides all of that it also Fisher Space Pen refill compatible. It’s great looking, lightweight, built like a tank and comes with a lifetime warranty. It pretty much has everything but the kitchen sink.
Sminiker Tactical Self Defense Pen
The Sminiker Tactical Self Defense Pen ($13) is a heavy-duty tactical pen that’s made from aircraft aluminum, is lightweight and portable. It features an Ultra durable carbide tip that can used to break glass in an emergency. It also has a diamond thread design around the handle to provide a sure grip even in the wettest conditions.
Sahara Sailor Tactical Pen for Self-defense
The Sahara Sailor Tactical Pen for Self-defense ($20) is definitely a black beauty. It’s made from rugged aircraft aluminum and measures just over 6.3 inches with a weight of 44g. It features a LED flashlight (cell batteries included) and a tungsten carbide striker which is designed to break glass and used for self defense. But that’s not all, it also includes a multi-tool that consists of a bottle opener, serrated edge, hex wrench, bottle opener, and of course a pen. A perfect pen for you EDC.