So fall is here and winter is quickly on its way. It’s time to get your wardrobe straight with some of the best men’s wardrobe essentials for fall & winter. The wardrobe capsule below is built around a core of blacks and greys with some warm autumn tones thrown in to mix things up a bit. It is also built for absolute comfort.
The quality of products offered in this wardrobe is from some of the best brands around. I prefer to buy less and put that extra money into quality items that will be worn on a regular basis. Items that age gracefully and will be in your wardrobe for years to come. Each of the products below meets these criteria exceptionally well.
Men’s Wardrobe Essentials: Tops
As I stated above, I wanted to keep things as comfortable as possible. So you will find no button downs in this wardrobe. Just sweatshirts, sweaters and t-shirts. If paired properly this items can be dressed up and although not formal will definitely work in a business casual and sharp casual situation.
Crew Neck Sweatshirts
Suggested Colors: Black, Grey, Brown, Olive, Charcoal Grey, Beige
Sweatshirts just aren’t for lounging around the house. Companies like Sunspel have taken the sweatshirt into the high-end casual realm. Nowadays you can pair these guys with everything from jeans, to chinos, to cotton trousers, and wool pants. If your shoes are on point with the outfit and the sweatshirt fits properly you’ll look great. I would by stand grey first, and then black, and then throw in some nice autumn tones with a beige, brown, or burnt orange/red.
1. Asket “The Sweatshirt” ($95)
2. Sunspel Cotton Loopback Sweatshirt ($135)
3. Cos Brushed Cotton Sweatshirt ($149)
4. Farnol Everyday Crew Neck Sweatshirt ($40)
5. A Days March Raglan Sweatshirt ($105)
6. H&M Relax Fit Sweatshirt ($15)
Suggested Colors: Black, Grey
A good crew neck merino sweater has always been a fall & winter essential. For the purpose of this article and this particular wardrobe stick with black and grey and stick with merino wool. I have some cotton sweaters, but they tend to stretch more than the wool and don’t wear as well over the long run.
1. Sunspel Lambswool Crew Neck Jumper ($285)
2. Farnol Everyday Cashmere Crew Neck ($130)
3. Cos Merino Wool Jumper ($99)
4. Asket “The Merino Sweater” ($110)
5. J. Crew Merino Wool Crewneck Sweater ($80)
6. Uniqlo lambswool Crewneck Sweater ($30)
Suggested Colors: Black, White, Grey
Always go for good quality t-shirts. I have H&M on the list for a good low-cost option but you will see a dramatic difference between that shirt and let’s say something from Asket. You do pay more, but an Asket T-Shirt will hold its shape much better over the long run and be with you for multiple seasons.
1. Asket “The T-Shirt” ($45)
2. Farnol Everyday Cotton Pima T-Shirt ($20)
3. H&M T-Shirt ($10)
4. Uniqlo Supima Cotton T-Shirt ($10)
5. Sunspel Classic Cotton T-Shirt ($90)
6. J. Crew Slub Cotton T-Shirt ($35)
7. Cos Round Neck T-Shirt ($20)
Men’s Wardrobe Essentials: Bottoms
For this fall & winter wardrobe, I wanted to be able to move between casual and business casual with ease. I’ve included in this wardrobe wool pants, chinos, and jeans. The wool pants are heavier weight so they will go well with heavier tops like sweatshirts and lambswool sweaters. For colors, I’ve tried to stay with the greys and blacks for the wool trousers, dark colors for the chinos, and dark wash blues, and blacks for the jeans. These colors should match well with anything else in the wardrobe without much thought.
Suggested Colors: Black, Charcoal Grey, Grey
I always used to think of wool pants as strictly for formal wear, either with a suit or a dress shirt and a sweater. But they are so much more. Wool pants can be paired with quality casual gear like t-shirts and sweatshirts. Again as I stated above your focus has to be on the right colors and getting the right shoes to tie everything together.
1. Samsoe Laurent Wool Pants 6568 ($125)
2. Drapeau Noir Wool Pant ($164)
3. Sunspel Wool Cashmere Flannel Drawstring Trouser ($295)
4. Cos Slim Wool Trousers ($125)
5. J. Crew Ludlow Slim Fit Wool Pant ($225)
6. Filippa K Liam Cool Wool Trousers ($195)
Suggested Colors: Black, Grey, Navy, Olive
A good quality chino is an absolute essential. Chinos can be dressed up or down and can easily be worn in some of the chillier weather. For the purpose of this article, we’re going to stick with black, medium grey, grey, and dark navy. I love pairing a dark navy top or bottom with a black counterpart. The slight variation in color provides some nice interest.
In this list, I’ve also included the Cos Cotton Trousers. These pants are a little more formal than chinos. They come with a crease and a cuff, but they also work great with sweatshirts and t-shirts. A black option is all that’s needed and they’ll go a long way.
1. H&M Slim Fit Cotton Chinos ($50)
2. Uniqlo Slim Fit Flat Front Chinos ($40)
3. J. Crew 484 Slim Fit Chinos ($68)
4. Asket “The Chino” ($150)
5. Sunspel Stretch Slim Fit Chino ($175)
6. Cos Relaxed Turn-up Trousers ($115)
Suggested Colors: Dark Wash, Black
For a fall and winter wardrobe, you need a good pair of dark wash jeans and a good pair of black jeans. Making either selvedge jeans to adds to your coolness. One of my favorite selvedge jean brands is Rogue Territory. They offer standard and straight fits for any body type.
Men’s Wardrobe Essentials: Shoes
Staying with the darker color theme I chose shoes that will work with practically everything else in this wardrobe. The workhorse of the shoe section with be the white sneakers. Followed by the grey sneakers. I only included a type of dress shoe, the derby, because it is so versatile, and can be dressed up or down easily.
Suggested Colors: White, Black w/ White Soles, Dark Grey, Grey
Sneakers, sneaker, sneakers. A lot of folks believe sneakers are becoming the new dress shoe. The faux pas of wearing white sneakers with suits is a thing of past. White sneakers will look great with absolutely anything in this wardrobe. Whether you’re wearing wool pants, chinos or jeans, a good pair of sneakers are a must.
1. White Sneakers: Common Projects Achilles ($410)
2. Black Sneakers w/ White Soles: Oliver Cabell Low 1s ($178)
3. Dark Grey Sneakers: Maison Margiela 22 Classic Replica Sneaker Black & Amber ($399)
4. Everyday Grey Sneaker: New Balance 574 Grey ($80)
Suggested Color: Black
Derbys are a great fall & winter dress shoe that can easily translate between casual and formal wear. Dressing them down with jeans or up with a nice cotton trouser or wool pants is an easy transition for these shoes.
Suggested Colors: Black, Dark Brown
A great pair of leather boots is a must for any fall & winter wardrobe. Again I picked a shoe that can go with anything in this fall & winter men’s wardrobe. A black boot with a white sole like those from Red Wing and a brown boot similar to those from J. Crew and Alden are perfect here. When in stock J. Crew offers a Kenton boot around $200, from there I would try the Red Wings which will run you upwards of $300.
Men’s Wardrobe Essentials: Outerwear
I love having a variety of coats in jackets and they can dramatically change a look. A bomber will keep things casual while switching it out for a formal overcoat will dress things up nicely. If I was starting out fresh I would by a quilted vest first because with Phillie’s mild winters it would get the most use. I would then pick up the American Trench, a denim jacket, and then a full-fledged winter jacket.
Overcoat, Trench Coat & Rain Coat
Suggested Colors: Black, Charcoal Grey, Grey, Beige
Because our color scheme for this season wardrobe is on the grey scale I’m going to keep with that theme with regards to coats. Whether you’re in milder areas and will use a trench or pure raincoat, or in more in-climate areas where a wool overcoat makes more since you’ll want to stay with a black. charcoal grey, or grey coat.
Zip up coaches jacket
Suggested Colors: Black, Navy
For the fall one of my favorite jackets is the zip up coaches jacket. Or a collared Harrington jacket. I personally do not like the tab collar that comes with your typical Harrington. It feels dated to me whereas a standard collar looks much more up to date and modern. This jacket is perfect for the fall and spring seasons when a lightweight jacket will come in handy.
Suggested Colors: Black
Denim Jackets are timeless and any fall/winter men’s wardrobe would be incomplete without one. Staying with the theme of this wardrobe I’m going with a black wash for a super cool look. Again you should be able to pair it with anything and get a great look.
Suggested Colors: Black
As I said above one of my most worn items in the fall & winter season is a quilted vest. I barely take it off once the temperature dips. I own the one from J. Crew. If you’re in colder temps you’ll want to take a look at the offerings from The North Face, and Moncler.
Quilted Winter Coat
(suggested colors: black)
For a winter coat, I wanted to go with a lightweight puffy jacket. For the vast majority of the winter, you don’t need a full-length parka. You can get away with a waist length jacket with some good warmth properties. My three options below come from very reputable companies and cover every budget from a couple hundred dollars to over five hundred.
Men’s Wardrobe Essentials: Style Accessories
Lastly, you’ll need some great accessories this fall & winter. Some of these include season specific pieces like beanies, wool baseball caps, and scarves, but I’ve also included some of my favorite everyday carry staples, like one of my favorites watches from Tudor.
1. Shoe Cleaner: Jason Markk Shoe Cleaning Set ($16)
2. Socks (black, grey): Unrecorded Organic Socks ($10)
3. Aviator Sunglasses: Rayban Aviators ($153)
4. Scarf: Acne Studios Canada Narrow New Scarf ($150)
5. Wool Baseball Cap (black, grey): American Trench Wool Ball Cap ($75)
6. Beanie (black, grey): American Trench Cardigan Stitch Cotton Beanie ($35)
7. Watch: Tudor Heritage Black Bay Watch ($3330)
8. Cologne: Joseph Abboud Cologne ($50)
9. Grooming: Aesop Skincare Montreal Nine-Piece Travel Grooming Set ($75)
10. Headphones: RHA Audio MA650 ($83)
11. Backpack: ISM Backpack ($225)
12. Weekender: Sandqvist Damien Weekender ($299)
13. Shoe Trees: Stratton Men’s Cedar Shoe Tree ($20)
14. Wallets: Common Projects Standard Wallet ($185)
15. Keychain: Orbit Keychain ($43)