In this guide, I not only show you 6 of the best men’s blazers for any budget, but I show you exactly how to wear them to look great.
Every once in a while you want to dress up a little bit without suiting up. In comes my favorite men’s wardrobe essential that every guy should have in his wardrobe – The Navy Blazer. This blazer is great because with a single clothing item you get a huge number of outfit options giving you a great bang for your buck. A navy blazer goes nicely with dark wash jeans, Oxford dress shirts, broadcloth dress shirts, Oxford closed laced dress shoes, chinos, polos, and even T-Shirts. First, let’s go over my idea of a blazer so we know we’re all talking about the same thing.
So What is A Men’s Blazer Exactly?
Our modern-day blazer originated from the rowing clubs in England. The blazer is the most versatile jacket when compared to the suit jacket and the sports coat.
It’s often compared to the sports coat but the blazer is more structured in the shoulders and is more tailored throughout that body than a sports coat.
When compared to a suit jacket, the blazer is made from thicker material and looks much better with separates.
Types of Men’s Blazers
The most common blazers come as a 2-button or 3-button single-breasted jacket. The 2-button blazer is the most popular and the 3-button is great for taller gents. The buttons are either made from metal or mother of pearl.
Mens Blazer Fabrics
A Blazer utilizes a thicker fabric than a suit jacket and if you’re going to match it with jeans or chinos it should have a fabric weight of about 8-10 ounces. Most blazers are made out of worsted wool, cashmere, and wool or cotton flannel.
Mens Blazer Jacket Colors
Blazer jackets come in a multitude of colors. The ones I feel give you the most bang for your buck are the Navy Blue/Dark Blue and the Charcoal Grey Blazers. Other popular colors include LT Grey, LT Beige, and Black.
What to wear with a Men’s Blazer
As I’ve already said multiple times, the blazer can pretty much go with anything in your closet as long as you pay attention to colors and details. For pants, I’d start with LT Chinos, Dark Wash Jeans, and Grey Wool Flannel Pants. Just like the pants, the blazer can handle a wide variety of shoes but you want to make sure they go well with the pants you decide to go with. Pair chinos with a loafer or derby dress shoes. Jeans go nicely with white sneakers as well as a derby. Wool pants should be paired with a nice blucher.
Differences between a Suit Jacket, Blazer, and a Sports Coat
- Sports Coats have the thickest fabrics and are the most casual
- Blazers are in the middle as far as fabric thickness and are the most versatile. They’ll go well with almost anything in your closet.
- Suit jackets should only be worn with matching pants.
Do’s and Dont’s for a Men’s Blazer
- Do unfasten the button when sitting down.
- Do remove the vent stitching – I just saw a guy going into a Wawa with the vent stitching still on his double vent jacket and I couldn’t look away. Take the time and make sure all the details are in order before leaving the house.
- Do have a vent – Either a double or a single vent. Preferably a double. A blazer with no vent looks terrible.
- Do make sure it fits properly.
- Do hang your Blazer on a proper hanger – Wire hangers ruin the shape of the jacket
- You shouldn’t wear a blazer with shorts – I know that some folks like this but save this look for your Caribbean vacation.
- Don’t button the bottom button – In a 2-button jacket only button the top button, and in a 3-button only button the middle button.
- Remove the brand label on the jacket sleeve.
- Don’t wear a suit jacket as a blazer – Suit jackets and blazers have different fabric weights. Wearing a suit jacket with jeans or khakis looks weird because the fabric is too thin and flowy.
- Don’t wear a blazer for formal events. Suit up.
How Should A Navy Blazer Fit
Check out my Fit Guide for Men’s Blazers.
6 of the Best Men’s Blazers
Remember to get the correct fabric weight, which should be thicker than your standard suit jacket. As far as details, a nice textured fabric, a 2-button front, a notch lapel, and a double vent are usually my favorites.
True craftsmanship is not always apparent at the first sight of men’s blazers, but with a name like Brooks Brothers, it is easy to see a fine quality in the piece. The Brooks Brothers Milan Fit Two-Button Textured Navy Blazer is comprised of 100% wool crafted in Italy featuring side vents and a butterfly yoke. Sizing comes from 38 all the way to 48, so it’s not difficult to find the right size no matter your body type and Brooks Brothers have also accounted for various lengths with both regular and short options.
The Hugo Boss Slim Fit Blazer in Melange Virgin Wool is made from Melange virgin wool and provides an optimal slim fit for a thinned-down profile. This particular model has no vent which is perfectly suitable for the silhouette. The jacket is unlined as well to further enhance the slim profile. Kissing buttons are featured on the cuff along with welt chest pockets and inside patch pockets. Sizing comes from 36 to 46 in both slim, regular, and long varieties.
With the Todd Snyder Unconstructed Navy Sports Coat, you’ll enjoy an impeccably tailored jacket with a lower patch pocket, side vents, and a chest welt pocket. The jacket comes in a dark navy color that is easy to pair with a range of outfits and sizes vary from 36 to 44 in both regular and slim fit options. Quality constructed in America and fully crafted with Italian wool, you can’t go wrong with this blazer.
1. H&M Slim Fit Blazer Dark Blue ($80)
If you’re in a pinch and need a quality inexpensive blazer then give the H&M Slim Fit Navy Blazer a shot. For under $100 you’re not going to find anything better out there. This blazer features quality welt and flap pockets and has a professional, yet comfortable appearance. Finding your right size won’t be a problem either with blazers ranging from 32 all the way to 52.
Comprised of American wool directly from the famed American Woolen Company in Connecticut, the J. Crew Ludlow Legacy Navy Blazer is what every man should own. And is, in fact, one of my favorite blazers I have hanging in my closet. This jacket has a two-button design with waist pockets and interior pockets. It features a partial Bemberg lining and detailed topstitching for a high-quality appearance. Sizes range from 36 to 46 and in slim, regular, and long varieties.
3. Bonobos Capstone Italian Wool Blazer ($400)
The Bonobos Unconstructed Italian Wool Navy Blazer would make a great addition to any wardrobe. If you already have a navy blazer from them try out one of their other color offerings. Bonobos have a wide range of various other colors to choose from in their unconstructed Italian wool blazer. But my favorite is still the navy. Bonobos also provide various sizes from 36 to 46 in slim, regular, and long fits.
How to wear Men’s Blazers
Men’s Navy Blazer With Dark Wash Jeans
1. Navy Blazer: @hm H&M Slim Fit Navy Blazer
2. Jeans: @jcrewmens J. Crew 484 Stretch Selvedge Jeans
3. Oxford: @taylorstitch Taylor Stitch Jack Everyday Shirt in LT Blue
4. Tie: @thetiebar The Tie Bar Cotton Glen Plaid
5. Shoes: @jcrewmens J. Crew Ludlow Balmoral Shoes Black
Men’s Navy Blazer With An Oxford
1. Navy Blazer: @jcrewmens J. Crew Navy Blazer
2. Shirts: @alexmillny Alex Mill White Oxford
3. Denim: @jcrewmens J. Crew 484 Slim-Fit Stretch Jean in Dalton Wash
4. Boots: @jcrewmens J. Crew Tobacco Brogues
5. Tie: @thetiebar The Tie Bar Blue Roadway Stripe
6. Belt: @jcrewmens J. Crew Classic Leather Belt
Men’s Navy Blazer With A T-Shirt
1. Navy Blazer: @bonobos Bonobos Navy Blazer
2. T-Shirt: @asket Asket Charcoal Grey T-Shirt
3. Chinos: @jcrewmens J. Crew LT Beige Chinos
4. Boots: @jcrewmesn J. Crew 1990 MacAlister boot in suede Anchor Grey
5. Belt: @jcrewmens J. Crew Classic Leather Belt
Men’s Navy Blazer With A V-Neck Sweater
1. Navy Blazer: @jcrewmens J. Crew Navy Men’s Blazers
2. Shirt: @toddsnyderny Hamilton Blue Solid Pima Twill Shirt
3. Sweater: @jcrewmens Merino Wool Sweater Navy
4. Chinos: @uniqlo Uniqlo Flat Front Chinos Navy
5. Sneakers: @olivercabell Oliver Cabell Low 1 Sneakers
6. Belt: @jcrewmens J. Crew Classic Leather Belt